The Skeptical Liberal: Is This How <I>Star Wars</I> Ends? To Middling Applause?

The Skeptical Liberal

How can we live together in peace, prosperity, and harmony, while retaining our liberties as autonomous individuals who can, and must, create our own values? -- J.M. Buchanan

5/24/2005

Is This How Star Wars Ends? To Middling Applause?

I watched Episode 3 of the Star Wars saga on Saturday with Thomas and Kristine. The mixed reviews have it about right: it's not the worst of the series, nor is it anywhere near the best. Here's my ranking of the episodes, now that they're all out:

  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace (weak)
  • Episode II: Attack of the Clones (weakest)
  • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (moderate)
  • Episode IV: A New Hope (good)
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (better)
  • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (the best)

Best quote from Revenge of the Sith: "Is this how democracy dies? To thunderous applause?" (Padmé).

Remainder of the weekend in Edmonton went well. Lydia and I went shopping on Friday and I spent Saturday with her and Sebastian. Sunday I visited some more with kids, and then had a couple of hours with Neil, Doris and Elene before flying back to Bozeman. Elene, Neil and Doris showed me pictures of their Costa Rica sabbatical.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger BB Janz said...

Ok, I've seen it twice now. Wasn't that crazy about it the first time, and less so today. I think Lucas' inability to write dialogue, the lack of clarity of motivation for the characters (I never believed the reason for Anakin to go over to the dark side), and the fact that he had no idea what to do with Padme annoyed me more the second time through. Apparently Orson Scott Card, an SF writer I used to like, wrote a screed recently that suggested that the Jedi were vile social engineers and the Sith weren't so bad after all. Sigh.

Hey, I started a blog too. Not much there yet... http://mitumba.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home